After months of testing, I found Roku Streaming Stick+ to be the most effective streaming stick general because it has extra content choices, less ads, and its platform isn’t biased. Fire TV Stick 4K is a large improve over the sluggish Fire TV Stick, nevertheless it’s still loaded with advertisements and missing key apps.
I’ll examine and contrast these two streaming sticks (Roku Streaming Stick+ vs. Fire TV Stick 4K) while evaluating 4 categories: interface, content, velocity, and smarts.
- 1 Roku Streaming Stick+
- 2 Fire TV Stick 4K
- 3I made a deals tracker that compares as we speak’s worth to Amazon’s 60-day common. It’ll solely show REAL offers on devices that I’ve reviewed. Once you use any of my Amazon hyperlinks, it helps my website and lets me present free and unbiased content material. Thanks to everyone who has helped!Why take heed to me?
- 4 Widespread Misconceptions
- 5 Roku Stick+
- 6 Fire TV Stick 4K
- 7 Other Gadget Comparisons
Roku Streaming Stick+
- Interface: It’s old skool and slightly clunky, however advertisements are unobtrusive.
- Content material: It has each streaming service I can think of with no biases. There are lots of 4K content material choices.
- Velocity & Specs: It presents comparable speeds as Fire TV Stick 4K.
- Smarts: You’ll be able to control the TV’s quantity and seek for exhibits and films with the distant. It works nicely, however there’s isn’t a private assistant for advanced tasks.
Best for you if…
You want an unbiased platform that provides you infinite options and a voice remote that’ll discover what you’re in search of. Roku has tons of choices for HD and 4K HDR content. Roku’s interface is dated and rough across the edges, nevertheless it does a better job of maintaining the advertisements minimal, relevant, and off to the aspect.
Price range Choice
Roku Stick (3800R) has the identical options and velocity without the 4K compatibility. Roku Stick+ will work with any TV sort, but when you don’t have a 4K TV, get 3800R for $49 as an alternative.
Fire TV Stick 4K
- Interface: Amazon advertisements take up half of the house display, together with advertisements for cat litter.
- Content: It has a lot of the basics, nevertheless it’s lacking Vudu and YouTube TV. 4K content material is lacking too.
- Velocity & Specs: It’s lastly useable. This era obtained a huge upgrade in velocity.
- Smarts: You’ll be able to management the quantity with the distant and search by way of your voice. You possibly can ask your Echo units to play content material, nevertheless it’s not absolutely baked yet.
Best for you if…
You’re invested in Amazon’s ecosystem and are effective with being inundated with advertisements. Its largest advantage over Roku is which you could go hands-free with Alexa (by way of Echo), nevertheless it’s still a piece in progress and not enough to beat the commercial heavy interface, weak 4K content material, and missing apps.
Price range Choice
Fire TV Stick (2nd Gen) continues to be bought by Amazon for $40, nevertheless it’s unbearably sluggish and has a terrible remote. It was one of many worst units I’ve ever examined.
Why take heed to me?
- I’ve been obsessive about devices since I used to be eight years previous.
- I purchased each system with MY money.
- I’ll update this publish ceaselessly because my opinions change.
- I don’t have insider entry. I’m identical to you, the everyman.
- Each Roku era gets quicker and an improved interface. I’ve tested Roku units from the last five years. The older Roku units are too sluggish and clunky to compete with new streaming units and sticks available on the market right now. The current era of Roku units are the ONLY ones that I recommend:
- Any streaming stick will work with any TV model or fashion. The only requirement of the TV is that it has an HDMI port.
- Sensible TVs sometimes have clunky interfaces and are an add-on function. That’s why I recommend a dedicated gadget. Some Sensible TVs are higher than others although. For instance, most TCL Roku TVs run a full model of Roku OS and are corresponding to Roku Stick.
- You’ll need a streaming stick for each TV that you simply need to stream on.
- These gadget have minimal free content material.
- You’ll be able to’t “cut the cord” by simply shopping for a streaming stick. A $50 system gained’t magically have free content material value watching. Streaming sticks are your platform for the streaming providers that you simply’ll want to purchase. Your streaming stick is your new cable box. Providers like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, and Showtime provide nice content material and price round $15/month.
- You’ll need quick internet and a robust connection. The extra units which are streaming simultaneously, the better your connection velocity needs to be. I recommend no less than 20/mbps for one flawless stream.
- “Cutting the cord” isn’t all the time extra reasonably priced than paying for cable. It sounds good in principle, nevertheless it gets costly once you think about an web velocity upgrade and being choosy concerning the channels you want. To economize, you’ll have to make sacrifices together with your channel requirements.
- If know-how is intimidating to you, don’t reduce the twine as a result of it’s going to be a troublesome transition.
- When you’re trying to stream stay TV, that’s at the least $30/month from providers like Sling, YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue. (Should you need assistance discovering one, I reviewed them).
- When you’re a member of a streaming service, you’ll have the ability to watch the service on as many units as you need without paying more.
- Apple TV is my favorite streaming gadget and by far one of the best streaming gadget available on the market (my assessment here), however it’s geared extra towards Apple nerds (like me) and individuals who don’t have cash constraints. Fire TV Stick and Roku Stick are the most effective streaming units for most and will provide more value in your money.
- Since Roku’s inception, their software has struggled with a funky menu setup, dated interface, design inconsistencies throughout, poor app quality control, and apps that don’t match the expertise of the other streaming units.
- While there’s nonetheless work to do to modernize the interface, Roku’s newest software model (9.1) has improved and cleaned up most of the issues point out above.
- In contrast to Apple TV, Roku and Amazon units have ads and there’s no getting round it because they generate profits by amassing your knowledge to raised target you with providers. It’s a part of their enterprise fashions.
- Roku units have one massive advert displayed on the homepage, however you’ll be able to simply distinguish the advert from the content and advertisements aren’t displayed anyplace else. However, Amazon units have advertisements littered in all places.
- You’ll be able to comply with films and exhibits and get updates once they turn into out there. It’s an ideal concept, but executed terribly. I might love to have all my favourite or “followed” exhibits organized in one area and a faucet of the show would play it inside the right app that I’m subscribed to. It doesn’t work like this but.
- The Roku Channel is an app made by Roku that has a bunch of free films and tv exhibits which might be ad supported. It’s just like Amazon Channels because you possibly can subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and Epix and maintain all your content material inside one app. In the event you opt for this, you’ll pay by way of Roku slightly than with a cable firm.
- You possibly can play your telephone’s music and movies with Roku Play-On inside the Roku app. It’s just like Apple’s AirPlay.
- The Roku telephone app is superb. You possibly can decide the streaming service you need to use in the app, and it’ll pop up on your TV display.
Content material (A):
- There are not any biases with Roku’s seek for films and exhibits. Roku doesn’t create or promote content material, to allow them to be utterly objective. When doing a search for content material, it’ll show you your free choices first (from the providers you subscribe to), somewhat than make you pay.
- Amazon Video, Google Play Video, Vudu, Hulu, Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Sling TV, DirecTV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, Spotify, and Pandora are available. Roku claims to have 500,000 films and exhibits. No streaming gadget comes near that number.
- Roku has more 4K content than Fire TV Stick 4K. For 4K content material, you get Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube, Vudu, and others. Roku has a particular part to see all out there 4K content material.
Velocity & Specs (B-):
- Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810R) and Roku Streaming Stick (3800R) got here out in 2017. They are 50% more powerful and use a cleaner and quicker model of Roku’s software program (Roku OS 9.1) compared to earlier generations.
- You gained’t discover a velocity distinction compared to Fire TV Stick 4K. The apps take about the same about of time to completely load.
- You’ll be able to play 4K HDR content material, however Roku only helps HDR10.
- The setup is clunky. The first time I related to the internet, it failed, after which labored the second time. Also, you should register for a Roku account and may’t get set up with out one. You only setup once, so I wouldn’t fear about this, just maintain it in thoughts.
- There are 4 preset app buttons (Netflix, DirecTV Now, Sling and Hulu) on the distant, so that you’re stuck with useless buttons in the event you’re not utilizing all four providers.
- You possibly can ask the distant to search for exhibits or films, but there isn’t a sensible assistant to do advanced tasks or ask it questions. Roku’s voice search works perfectly by holding the button and saying a film title. Then, it brings up the movie and exhibits you which of them app you possibly can watch it with.
- You need to hold the distant near your mouth whereas pressing the button for it to hear you correctly.
- You possibly can management the quantity and turn the TV on and off with the distant.
- With Personal Listening mode, you’ll be able to play your present’s sound by way of the Roku telephone app, then pay attention utilizing headphones. It can be helpful when you have roommates and try to keep the noise down. This function is technically out there with Fire TV Stick, however you need to bounce by means of hoops to connect Bluetooth headphones by means of the settings menu. It’s seamless on Roku.
- Guest Mode is great for visitor bedrooms, AirBnB homes, and places where only friends watch TV. Friends get to choose a “sign out date” and sign into apps utilizing their credentials. As soon as the sign out date chosen has arrived, the visitor is signed out and Roku is ready for a brand new visitor to arrive. Friends and family can sign up with out worrying about forgetting to sign out once they depart.
- Automated Account Hyperlink has an opportunity to be a huge function for Roku, however it’s at first levels and simply 4 streaming channels help it (Hulu, Sling, Philo, Pandora) at present. Once you arrange a second or third Roku system, you’re routinely signed into your channels utilizing the credentials used out of your first Roku.
- AirPlay 2 help is coming quickly. This implies iPhone and iPad customers will be capable of mirror their iPhone’s display on the TV by way of Roku.
- There are different Apple integrations coming quickly too.
- Google and Alexa integrations are finally here in your sensible speakers, but there are a number of issues:
- The setup might be troublesome.
- There’s a lag between the command and the action.
- The commands are wordy and are sometimes misheard. For occasion, “Hey Google, turn up the volume on Roku,” turns up the quantity. At this level, until you possibly can’t find the remote, why wouldn’t you just tap the quantity rocker?
Fire TV Stick 4K
- Half of Fire TV’s residence display is advertising Amazon’s content whether you need to see it or not.
- Amazon Channels integrates Amazon Video, HBO, Showtime and Starz into one platform, just like Apple’s TV app. To use Amazon Channels, you pay for HBO, Showtime, and Starz by means of Amazon on a month-to-month basis fairly than your cable supplier.
- Amazon Channels is a good idea, however it’s a useless distraction to most since you’re doubtless paying for HBO and Showtime via different means. There’s no strategy to eliminate it from the interface.
- On the backside of the display is a “sponsored” part that’s static. You’ll see automotive, razor, travel, pc, and cat meals ads. Why are you cluttering up my residence display with this rubbish?
- Underneath your row of hand-picked apps, there are your “most used” apps. Usually, this leads to duplicate apps from the first row and it seems to be dangerous. The “most used” is just not editable or removable.
- Amazon’s making an attempt to tug out individual content material from different apps and curate it, nevertheless it turns into a multitude.
- This system favors Amazon’s content in an enormous method. There are ads for it in all places. It feels such as you’re being bought something each time you activate the TV. I paid cash for this system; I simply need to chill out!
- Fire TV Stick 4K is one of the simplest ways to observe all of Amazon Prime’s content. It’s perfectly optimized and there are cool exclusive options whereas watching. For occasion, you’ll be able to see all of the actor’s names once you pause a show.
- For HD content material, there’s Hulu, Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Sling TV, DirecTV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube, and others obtainable.
- YouTube TV is one of the best stay TV streaming service, but there isn’t an app at present, however it’s coming sooner or later in 2019.
- There’s a scarcity of 4K HDR content material. There’s no iTunes, Google Play Video or Vudu. You’re caught with just Amazon (which lacks HDR content material relative to iTunes and Vudu) and Netflix.
Velocity & Specs (B-):
- Fire TV Stick 4K is Amazon’s third era stick. It has 1.5 GB of RAM with a quad-core 1.7 GHz processor and runs Fire OS 6.
- The second era Fire TV Stick has 1GB of RAM with a 1.3GHz processor and Fire OS 5 continues to be being bought for $40. Every motion on the second era felt prefer it was in sluggish motion relative to Roku or Apple TV.
- Fire TV Stick 4K apps open two occasions quicker than the second era Fire TV Stick. It’s astronomically snappier with the whole lot that you simply do.
- Fire TV Stick 4K apps open as fast because it does on Roku.
- There’s Dolby Atmos help, though there isn’t content material that takes advantage of this yet.
- Amazon supports HDR10 and Dolby Imaginative and prescient. I can’t inform the distinction between the 2 requirements, however individuals smarter than I say Dolby Imaginative and prescient is best.
- Fire TV Stick 4K is aware of who you’re in the event you buy it with YOUR Amazon account, which makes set up simpler. Also, if it’s your second Amazon gadget and your WiFi settings stay saved, you don’t have to fret about WiFi setup.
- You possibly can hold down a button on the remote to ask Alexa a query. It performs any question or sensible residence activity (i.e. turning off the lights, and so forth.), identical to a typical Echo system.
- With the previous version of Fire TV Stick, you couldn’t control the quantity or flip off the TV with the distant. Now, an Alexa Voice Distant is included with a devoted quantity and power button. This distant is a large improve from the earlier era, nevertheless it’s still made with low cost materials.
- If you want to go hands-free, you possibly can arrange Fire TV Stick 4K to work with an Echo system. You’ll be able to ask your Echo to play, pause, or open an app, with out touching the remote. For sure apps, you’ll be able to ask it to play a present immediately and it’ll open it within the right app. For occasion, “Alexa, play Bosch on my Fire TV” and Bosch routinely plays within the Amazon Prime Video app, but there are issues:
- It doesn’t work persistently as a result of the requests get wordy. Alexa doesn’t all the time perceive which service you need to use and doesn’t know non-mainstream exhibits nicely.
- Sooner or later, I would like Amazon’s AI to foretell which service I need to use, based mostly on my previous usage, without specifying.
- Alexa works higher with Amazon’s own content material. You possibly can say “Alexa, play Transparent.” and the content material begins with out pressing any buttons. The exhibits open 95% of the time, however it doesn’t all the time play the 4K model. Why are there two variations of the identical movie? It must be one movie and the definition should auto regulate depending on the type of TV show you might have.
- There’s no approach to mirror your iOS units natively. There are a couple of ways to do it with third social gathering apps, but I wasn’t happy with the efficiency. Android customers gained’t have a problem, nevertheless.