After a yr of testing, I decided Apple TV is one of the best streaming system as a result of it’s the fastest and makes it straightforward to seek out content material. Chromecast is a special take on streaming, but in the long run, it accomplishes the same duties extra slowly and complexly.
I’ll examine and distinction two streaming units (Chromecast vs. Apple TV) by evaluating six categories: interface, content, velocity, smarts, remote, and worth.
- 1 Apple TV
- 2 Google Chromecast
- 3 I made a offers tracker that compares immediately’s worth to Amazon’s 60-day average. It’ll solely present REAL offers on gadgets that I’ve reviewed. Whenever you use any of my Amazon hyperlinks, it supports my website and lets me provide free and unbiased content material. Thank you to everybody who has helped! Why take heed to me?
- 4 Apple TV
- 5 Google Chromecast
- 6 Different Gadget Comparisons
- Interface: Your interactions come by way of a remote and TV display interface.
- Content material: The App Retailer has most apps you discover on iOS with the best variety of 4K choices.
- Velocity: Apple TV HD zips by means of menus. It’s the quickest gadget I’ve ever tested.
- Smarts: Siri helps you find TV exhibits, open them in the right app, and fast forward.
- Remote: Many buyer reviewers don’t like the remote as a result of it’s totally different than what they’re used to, however at the least there is a distant.
- Worth: Apple TV HD is $149 and streams HD content, while Apple TV 4K is $179.
Greatest for you if…
You want an intuitive interface that saves you time when looking for content material, 4K content material is necessary to you, otherwise you like Amazon Video. You’ll be proud of Apple TV HD as a result of there aren’t many differences apart from 4K picture, however buy the 4K model, no matter TV sort, to remain future-proof.
- Interface: Your smartphone is the interface. You find content material by way of telephone apps.
- Content material: A lot of the main providers work, as long as there’s a “cast” button within the telephone app.
- Velocity: Your smartphone’s velocity determines the interface velocity, then it takes 15 seconds to seem on TV.
- Smarts: You are able to do cool integrations when you have other Google and Nest merchandise.
- Remote: It doesn’t include a remote, and there’s no choice so as to add one.
- Worth: Chromecast is $35 and streams HD content, whereas Chromecast Extremely is $69.
Greatest for you if…
You’re snug with no TV interface and like to regulate content material together with your telephone. You don’t have to re-sign into your content material apps (i.e. Netflix, HBO, and so forth), you possibly can cover it behind your TV, and you may management it by way of Google Residence. However casting isn’t the smoothest course of and disconnections can happen.
Why take heed to me?
- I’ve been obsessive about devices since I used to be eight years previous.
- I purchased each system with MY money.
- I’ll replace this publish regularly because my opinions change.
- I don’t have insider access. I’m identical to you, the everyman.
- In contrast to Chromecast, Apple TV is a pc the place you’ll be able to retailer your apps, and your interactions come by way of a remote and the interface on the TV.
- Apple TV has probably the most polished interface of any streaming gadget I’ve tried (that listing consists of two Hearth TVs and 4 Roku units).
- For those who’ve used iOS units, the expertise will feel familiar. It’s like using an enormous iPad, besides the display is your TV.
- As a result of Apple TV has a tough drive, you’ll have to download your favorite streaming apps within the App Store and sign up to all of your apps. Getting into passwords sucks, but Apple combats this in two methods:
- “Single Sign-On” enables you to sign up once together with your cable supplier after which most of your apps routinely sign up.
- Quite than typing in passwords via the TV, every time a textual content area seems on the Apple TV, you’ll get a notification on your telephone and may enter text by way of your telephone’s keyboard.
- Apple TV’s secret sauce is the “Watch Now” function inside the TV app. Every present you’re watching from any service (excluding Netflix) seems in the TV app. For example, on my “Watch Now” listing, I’ve Westworld (Season 2, Episode 1) and Shark Tank (Season 9, Episode 24). Once I faucet Westworld, the HBO app opens and performs the right episode. If I tap Shark Tank, Hulu opens and performs the best episode. The better part is every part happens routinely and as new episodes are released or watched, your record modifications in actual time. Most of the time, you don’t even find yourself using the apps, and I keep contained in the TV app.
- In contrast to different streaming rivals (Amazon & Roku), who sometimes break even on their units, Apple makes money on their hardware. This implies you’ll by no means see an advert on Apple TV.
- My associates and I are continuously mesmerized by Apple TV’s screensavers. They’re over 4 minutes lengthy, slow-motion drone videos. (Don’t buy Apple TV for the screensavers, however they’re superb).
Content material (A):
- Apple TV’s App Retailer has most apps you discover on iOS units. There are numerous extra: Amazon Video, Vudu, Hulu, Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Sling TV, DirecTV, and YouTube TV.
- Apple TV has the most important 4K library of any system, and any iTunes film buy you’ve been is routinely upgraded to 4K free of charge. Apart from iTunes, you get 4K content material from Amazon Video, Vudu, Netflix, and others.
- The solely weak spot in Apple TV’s 4K library is YouTube. YouTube has one of many largest choices of 4K content material, but you possibly can only stream in HD.
- The fourth-generation Apple TV zips by way of menus and was the quickest gadget I’ve ever tested.
- Apple TV 4K uses the A10X Fusion Chip (the identical chip in iPad Execs) and is even quicker than the fourth era.
- Apple isn’t recognized for its polished AI, but Siri on Apple TV remote does the whole lot it’s alleged to and does it nicely.
- You possibly can hold down the remote’s voice button and ask Siri issues like:
- “Skip forward two minutes” or
- “Open Silicon Valley,” which can open the present within the right app and the right episode.
- Ask “What did he just say?” to rewind the movie 30 seconds and see captions for those 30 seconds.
- Siri can carry out Homekit tasks and be used as your “HomeKit Hub” to regulate your HomeKit units if you’re not house.
- You’ll be able to mirror your iPhone or Mac by way of AirPlay.
- Most people don’t just like the Apple TV remote as a result of it’s totally different from a typical remote. It’s made from glass and comes with a trackpad. I like its simplicity, and the Siri button works nicely, however it’s vulnerable to get misplaced, doesn’t work flawlessly from far distances, and it’s troublesome to inform the entrance from the again.
- You should use your iPhone because the remote too with the Remote app or via the control middle.
- Apple TV HD is $149 and streams HD content.
- Apple TV 4K is $179 and streams HD, 4K & 4K HDR (Dolby Vision and HDR10) content.
- These are truthful prices, but Apple TV isn’t splendid should you’re on a finances.
- Chromecast is unique because it’s the only streaming gadget without an interface. How does it work? Your smartphone is the interface. You find content by way of your subscription streaming providers with apps on your telephone. (Apps like HBO, Showtime, Netflix, and so forth.) As soon as you find content to observe, you tap on the “cast” button in the nook of the app, and the content is shipped to your Chromecast and displayed on your TV.
- Chromecast’s lack of interface is polarizing.
- Execs: 1. Most individuals know tips on how to function their smartphone, so there’s nothing new to study. 2. You don’t should configure or signal into apps you don’t often use. three. You should use your telephone for other actions while casting with out interrupting the stream.
- Cons: 1. The stream doesn’t all the time work flawlessly, and it takes awhile to seem on the TV. 2. In case your telephone loses reference to Chromecast (which occurs ceaselessly), it’s exhausting to vary what’s enjoying. 3. The forged button doesn’t all the time show up in your telephone when it should. Drive quitting the app often fixes this.
- I want a TV interface, however there are exceptions the place casting is a greater choice. For example, casting YouTube TV is an excellent experience. It’s simpler to type via channels together with your fingers than with a remote. It’s extra intimate.
- You’ll be able to stream a lot of the main providers, as long as there’s a “cast” button inside the telephone app.
- Suitable providers embrace Netflix, YouTube TV, Google Play, Hulu, Showtime, PlayStation Vue, Sling, Vudu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Spotify, and Pandora. (The whole record is right here).
- Netflix, YouTube, and Vudu are the one 4K content material options.
- You are able to do cool integrations with Chromecast when you have other Google and Nest products.
- Google House users get playback commands with their voice. You’ll be able to play, pause, skip and return. It gets wordy and only works flawlessly half the time. For instance, you might say, “Hey Google, stream Breaking Bad on Netflix to Living Room TV.”
- You’ll be able to mirror any Android gadget.
- You’ll be able to mirror your pc’s Chrome browser.
- Your smartphone’s velocity determines the interface velocity.
- How lengthy does it take to for a casted video to point out on the TV? Assuming you’ve got reliable, high-speed Web, it takes 15 seconds for the video to point out on the TV if your Chromecast is already powered on.
- Skipping episodes takes a long time as a result of there are lots of steps. You must unlock your telephone, find the app you’re casting, make your changes, then wait 1-2 seconds in your input to point out on the display.
- It doesn’t include a remote, and there’s no choice to add one. Your telephone is your distant.
- You’ll be able to management Chromecast with the Google Residence app or by way of the app that you simply’re casting from (i.e., inside Netflix, HBO, and so forth.).
- You’ll be able to control the quantity together with your telephone, however you’ll be able to’t flip off the TV together with your telephone.